This is an art ritual I created specifically for the new moon in April 2021. It was created with the intention of helping your claim your destiny.
This particular new moon has a lot of new beginnings energy surrounding it. In western astrology it is considered to be an Aries new moon. Aries is the first sign in the Zodiac and it is a fiery, independent sign. It is the fire in your heart you feel when you are deeply passionate about something. It is the will that rises from your belly when you refuse to give up. Aries energy wants to take action. It doesn’t just want to just sit around and dream about something. It wants to be bold and brave. It knows you have what it takes to create the kind of world you dream of.
I wanted to tap into that daring energy for this moon ritual by creating a process you can use to claim your destiny. Many years ago, my guardian angel Cassandra taught me a very important lesson. She explained how, when working with Spirit, it was important to be both directive and receptive.
In my work, I’ve noticed people expect to be receptive when working with Spirit. They concentrate on trying to receive messages from Spirit which is helpful and very much an important skill to develop but your relationship with Spirit isn’t just receptive. Spirit isn’t just there to send you messages. They are also there to support you in creating. You are a creator. A creator must choose what they want to create.
I remember when I was lost and wondering what my purpose was I turned to Spirit and asked to be shown my purpose. Spirit turned right back around and asked me questions instead. What lights you up? What makes you happy? Do you know what makes your heart sing? They then explained that my answers would be found by trusting what makes me happy and asking for more of that to be created in my life.
That is a more directive way of working with Spirit. You look inside your heart of hearts and you trust what it wants. Then you ask Spirit for help bringing more of that into your life but you are the captain of the ship. Spirit is just the wind in your sails. If you don’t captain your ship and instead you sit there and wait for someone to show you the way or make the decisions for you, your experience of working with Spirit will probably be frustrating because you’re not directing the ship. You’ll just wander from place to place. Instead, figure out where you want to go then ask for Spirit’s help to get there.
To help you play with the idea of being more directive, I created this moon art ritual for the April new moon. I thought of how destiny is this force we perceive as outside of ourselves but what if we decided to claim our destiny – or at least the parts of it we can control. If this pandemic has taught us anything, it is that we are not in control of all things at all times but that doesn’t mean we have no control.
For this art ritual, let’s imagine we have more control over our future than we ever imagined. Let’s pretend we are palm readers and as we look at the lines in the palm of our hands we see our dreams coming true.
What would each line say about your future?
Below are the step-by-step instructions of this ritual in a format you can print for your convenience.
If you do perform this ritual publicly or share photos of the ritual or perform the ritual with a group, please respect the work of this artist and creator by mentioning the source and/or providing a link back to this original post. Also, if you end up performing this ritual, I’d love to see what you completed. You can even post the finished piece on Instagram or Facebook with the hashtag #danasartrituals or email me at email@example.com and share with me how it went.
- watercolors or acrylic paints
- black acrylic paint
- dish soap
- art journal page or 1 square of watercolor paper (I cut mine to each be 8″ x 8″)
- Set a sacred space and prepare for your art ritual.
- Choose a page in your art journal or cut a square of watercolor paper.
- Draw a circle with a compass on your paper. Make sure it is large enough to fit the palm of your hand.
- Paint a light background.
- Dip your brush in paint or ink and draw counter clockwise circles along the outside of the circle. As you draw your counter clockwise circles think of the negative thoughts, beliefs or emotional triggers you want to release and let go.
- Call in the four directions and the 4 elements and anyone from your Spirit team you want to invite to support you by drawing symbols of them around the outer edges of your paper.
- Create a boundary around your circle by embellishing or defining the outer edge of the circle in some way. I dipped rope in black paint mixed with moon water and pressed the rope along the outer edges of the circle to make a print of the rope. Then I drew a snake body around it.
- Mix a little black acrylic paint with a bit of dish soap. This will help it wash off easier.
- Paint the palm of your hand.
- Press the palm of your hand inside your circle so you have a print of your palm.
- Highlight the most prominent lines on the palm of your hand by painting them with a bright color.
- Now for the fun part (as if getting your hands dirty wasn't already fun). Pretend you are a palm reader who is studying the lines and decide what you want each line on your palm to mean about your future.
- Make fantastically wild and magnificent predictions that describe your dreams coming true.
- Draw an arrow to each line and beside it write your prediction.
- End with a prayer of gratitude.